|Region||Co. Dublin - Dublin city|
|Uploaded by||David O'Shea|
|George Benson (c. 1900)|
|R. E. Meates & Son (2008)|
The organ of Clontarf Presbyterian Church was built c. 1900 by George Benson of Manchester. It appears to have undergone minor physical modifications some time in the mid-20th century (possibly at the same time as the organ was repaired after water damage), but otherwise remained largely unaltered until its pneumatic key and pedal action was electrified by R. E. Meates and Co. in 2008. (The stop action remains pneumatic.)
The organ contains some nice sonorities but the overall effect of the instrument is underwhelming: this is not helped by the very dry acoustic of the building. The Swell division is unusually quiet, though the Cornopean is a fine stop, albeit tonally rough. The author (organist at this church for some five years) believes that some sensitive and appropriate voicing work could make this into a very fine instrument of its type.