|Uploaded by||Ray O'Donnell|
This organ was built at the price of £420 by Abbott & Smith of Leeds in 1903. It replaced an earlier instrument of which little is known except that it is reputed to have been transferred to Newmarket-on-Fergus (Church of Ireland) in Co. Clare and was scrapped in recent times. The original specification of this instrument was typical of its builders work of that period, in that the specification and voicing lacked definition or brilliance.
In 1982 Mr Bill Grinstead did a cleaning of the instrument but made no tonal alterations; this was probably the first major work that was done to the instrument.
Trevor Crowe updated and improved the organ in 1985, and the present specification is the result of that work. The pedal was converted from pneumatic to electric action. The organ, although relatively small, is now a pleasant, bright-sounding instrument, artistically voiced, well suited to its purpose and a very adequate recital instrument when required.
The manual action is mechanical, and the pedal action is electric. There are three mechanical composition-pedals to the great and three to the swell.
The original Abbott & Smith stoplist was as follows:
Great: Open Diapason 8, Keraulophon 8, Stopped Diapason 8, Dulciana 8, Principal 4, Harmonic Flute 4.
Swell: Contra Gamba 16 (1-12 stopped), Open Diapason 8, Lieblich Gedacht (sic) 8, Salicional 8, Principal 4, Fifteenth 2, Oboe 8, Tremulant.
Pedal: Bourdon 16, Flute 8, Gamba 8 (from Swell Contra Gamba).
Couplers: Swell to Great, Swell to Pedal, Great to Pedal.
This information is courtesy of Laurence Crawford and Trevor Crowe.
|Lieblich Gedacht (sic)||8|