|Uploaded by||Matthew Breen|
|J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd (1863)|
|George Benson (1883)|
|N.P Mander (1978)|
St George's is a High-Anglican church in the heart of Belfast.
The organ displays the mark of several organ builders, most notably Benson, by the look of the console.
The action is mechanical throughout (with the exception of the pneumatic Pedal) without so much as a composition pedal to aid the player in his battle with this Victorian monster! In fact, this organ would be the perfect facility in developing good technique and quick, thoughtful registration.
The instrument has seen several rebuilds/restorations, the most recent being by Mander. Undoubtedly it owes most of its upperwork to these rebuilds.
It is situated in a specially built gallery/chamber on the south side of the chancel. The church has a strong choral tradition as such the organ sees regular use in morning services and evensong.
The writer was privileged to give a recital at St George's and (apart from being impressed by the instrument) was pleased to note that the Irish music collector Edward Bunting was, for a time, organist at the church.
|Double Open Diapason||16|
|Large Open Diapason||8|
|Small Open Diapason||8|
|Stopped Diapason & Claribella||8|
|Solo (on Choir)|
|Swell to Choir|
|Choir to Great|
|Swell to Great|
|Choir to Pedal|
|Great to Pedal|
|Swell to Pedal|