User login

Wicklow Parish Church (CofI)

RegionCo. Wicklow
Uploaded byDavid Bedlow
Builder(s)
W. Browne & Son (1878)

The following is a transcript, including idiosyncratic punctuation, of an article published in The Irish Builder, May 1, 1878 (page 140)

'NEW ORGAN IN WICKLOW CHURCH
This church has been provided with a remarkably fine organ, built by Messrs. William Browne, of this city. It has been erected in the west gallery. The case is of a massive character, consisting of three round towers, fitted with large gilt pipes, supported by rich mouldings and carved corbels, and surmounted by handsome canopies, the centre one rising to a height of 22 ft. The spaces between are filled by rows of pipes standing on carved panels. In its musical effect the organ is equally satisfactory, having great power and volume of tone, combined with variety and sweetness, the flute gamba, clarabella, and oboe being very effective as solo stops. The following is a description of the organ:— Great organ C C to G, open diapason, gamba, clarabella, principal, wald-flote. twelfth, fifteenth, mixture, three ranks, clarinet; swell organ, C C to G, double stopped diapason, open diapason, dulciana, principal, oboe, pedal bourdon, couplers, swell to great, great to pedal, swell to pedal, three composition pedals on great organ.
The instrument, a work of native manufacture, reflects credit on the establishment in which it was built. The opening service in connection with the organ took place on Sunday, in the presence of a large congregation. The Rev. Henry Rooke, the incumbent, to whose zealous efforts the church has been endebted for the new organ, preached at the opening services. Collections were made on each occasion in aid of the organ fund, and the necessary alterations of the church.'

A plaque on the case states that the organ was restored by Alfred T. Taylor, Organ Builder, Wicklow, 1995.

As can be seen from the stop list below, a number of changes have been made in the meantime. Unfortunately the appearance of the console has been spoiled by the use of a different font for the engraving on the new stop heads, a fixed draw stop handle with a blank stop head, and tabs for the Pedal stops. The compass of the pedalboard is C to f1 (30 notes); this pedalboard is evidently a replacement, as the manual to pedal couplers function only from C to c1 though there are pedal pipes for the top five notes.

Great
Open Diapason8
Clarabella8
Dulciana8
Principal4
Wald Flote (TC)4
Twelfth3
Fifteenth2
MixtureIII
Trumpet 8
 
Swell
Open Diapason8
Gamba8
Principal4
Piccolo2
Oboe8
Tremulant
 
Pedal
Double Diapason16
Bourdon16
Bass Flute8
 
Couplers
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal