The Irish Pipe Organ Page is a website devoted to the pipe organ on the island of Ireland. It contains news, organ specifications and much more.
This organ was originally built by Telford in 1888 for the Presentation Convent in Youghal.
In 1990, it was moved to its new home at the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes (aka Strand Church). This organ was originally designed for a smaller chapel, with its primary use being for the Divine Office.
It blends very well into its new location, and looks as if it was built specifically for the Strand Church. The church has excellent acoustics which makes the organ blend even more so in its new home
The organ was built by the John Compton Organ Company of North London for the Savoy Cinema, Cork in 1932; its job number being A135. It was one of just four theatre organs installed in the Republic of Ireland during the heyday period of the super cinema and the theatre organ. The other instruments – Savoy Dublin, Theatre Royal Dublin and Savoy Limerick – have since been lost, the Dublin organs broken up in the 1960s and the Limerick organ removed in the 1980s, its present location and condition unknown. When the Savoy Cork closed, the organ was purchased by Mr.
In 1812 an organ was purchased and a gallery erected for it at the western end of the nave.
In 1861 a new organ was procured at a cost of £300 from Telford and Telford Organs Builders of Dublin. The organ was removed in 1965 as it was in a very poor condition and the on-going costs seemed impossible at the time.
In 2007 a new organ was moved and restored by Neilands of Wexford, from the Closed Church of St. Michael-on-the-Mount-Without in the City of Bristol, England. It was installed on to the North Bay of the Crossing of the Great Nave.